Friday, October 27, 2006

Burrito Brothers Tampa

I recently got to attend a Microsoft TechNet event in Tampa, Florida. It was just the excuse I was looking for to go visit the first franchise of the world famous Burrito Brother Taco Co. which has been a Gainesville, Florida/University of Florida tradition since 1976. I work as an IT Admin in Gainesville. The franchise store opened earlier this year and has been a "planned proven success".

This store is known as the "Carrollwood" Burrito Brothers. They now plan to expand the franchise.

My co-worker, Victor, and I arrived at the Tampa store at about 12:30 (a few pics of the outside 1, 2, 3, 4, 5). Unlike the Gainesville store it wasn't completely crowded (Yay! The Guac light was on!). There were, however, about 5 or 6 tables of people and a steady influx of people coming in and going out for takeout.

This first thing I noticed was the nice interior of the store. They also had lots of bling for sale. I bought a huge 64 oz. insulated mug with the BBTC logo on it while I was there. I'm currently using it for my water mug at work. With the mug you are supposed to get refills at the store for $1. I wonder if Janet will let me get refills for $1 at the Gainesville store.

The next thing I noticed was the menu. In addition to the regular fare you would get at the Gainesville store they have added Quesadillas and Salads. They also have chorizo (mexican sausage). This can be had on a Quesadilla, on a burrito with chicken or added to queso dip. They also have kids meals (Los Pequenos). In addition to sodas and tea they sell Jarritos (mexican soda), beer and beer-ritas (beer margaritas). An odd thing I also noticed is that they only have Primo Burritos not regular ones.

With all these choices, what did I order? A Primo Beef Burrito and an order of guac and chips. I figured the true test would be to order my usual. The burrito was good but the meat was somehow not right. Either the seasoning was not mixed in all the way or the ground beef was not the same as the Gainesville store. The red sauce was exactly the same...great stuff. The Guac...wow! The guac was the same..but...it was HUGE. The guac was in an 8oz. container and it came with what they said was 2 bags of chips but it seemed like more. It only cost 50 cents more than in Gainesville. As I understand it it is only 2 oz. more guac than in Gainesville. It seemed like double the amount. I could barely finish it all. But hey...you know that I did!

All in all, I was quite impressed with the store. I look forward to taking a trip down there, with the family; letting the boys get some kids meals and I would try something different on the menu.

If you live in Tampa or are traveling there, I highly recommend it. If you are ever in Gainesville, though, check out the original.

No comments: